Sunday, March 7, 2010

Gardenias for Breakfast



I love gardenias. I love the scent that floats on the air when they're nearby. I love the softness of the petals. I love the pure white of the flower and the deep green of the leaves that surrounds them as they grow. I can't remember the first time I encountered this dreamy delight, but I do remember a few choice moments gardenias were present.

The first time that comes to mind was when I was presented with a corsage before attending a dance with my darling husband to be. He knew how much I loved them, and made sure that I had one to adorn my wrist. All evening I floated on air as I danced with this man I loved so dearly, a man that was willing to love who I was and who I wanted to become...a man who didn't treat me like any girl, but who treated me like me....like HIS girl. It makes me giddy to think about that night- and to think about the sweet perfume that surrounded me as we danced. So much to look forward to, so much to appreciate...at this moment I knew everything was perfect, and I would remember it forever.

The second time that comes to mind was when I was jogging with my darling little boys in our 'cadillac' double stroller on an Air Force base in Alabama. I chose a different path every day for our little jaunt, exploring my new surroundings as I went. The air was sticky- the warmth you can only feel in the south that envelops your body the moment you step outdoors. It felt cozy, and happy. I pointed out birds, squirrels, airplanes, etc. to my sweet little almost one year old boys, and then as we neared the golf course, I breathed in and felt it. The air was filled with gardenias...they had to be nearby, I was certain. I couldn't breathe in enough...I kept walking until I found it- I was in awe as I saw the gorgeous gardenias were in full bloom. I had never seen a gardenia growing on a bush- never seen them so lush- never smelled them so fragrant. They were better than I imagined they could be. I appreciated that moment as I stood there, and as I close my eyes I can feel it as if it's happening at this very moment. I can smell the scent of the blossoms, hear my darling little boys sniffing the air to share with me in the joy I found, feel the warmth of the sun on my arms and face, and remember my thoughts: this moment is perfect. I will remember it forever.

I found a book as I was wandering in the library. It was titled "Gardenias for Breakfast." My love for gardenias made it a 'must borrow.' As the story of a woman and her daughter traveling across the country visiting long lost relatives unfolded, I thought of the many women in my life who have taught me and affected my life. There are many. At the end of the book, it offers the question, "what beautiful quality have you been given from two women in your life?" My thoughts immediately went to my mother, a Beauty of Service. Next, my grandmother, a Beauty of Laughter. I was led further in my thoughts to other women- a Beauty of Strength, a Beauty of Unconditional Love, a Beauty of Grace, a Beauty of Loyal Friendship, a Beauty of Understanding. I'm sure there are many more that my mind has yet to uncover. I am grateful for my life- for the many people who fill it. And I am grateful for my dear gardenia memories. I hope there are many more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment